Monday, September 20, 2010

First Post

Throughout the halls of my highschool, one can see a lot of things. From Yu-Gi-Oh, straight from the early 2000's, to the diligent but forgetful scholars, desperately doing homework before class starts, to just general rowdiness.  Although I have never taken part in the first activity, one can frequently see me doing the second and third activities in front of my locker. 

But I have a secret.

The thing that someone will most likely see when they see me in the hallways of my high school is me, in front of my locker, knitting. 

Knitting. 

I started knitting when I was seven years old, in a town cuddled up next to James Bay.  My grandmother taught me the basics, and I fell in love immediately.  My seven year old hands were knitting as many dishcloths and scarves as there were stars in the sky, but after a year or so of this behaviour, I got bored, and took a hiatus.

This hiatus may have lasted about 3 years.  Give or take.

If I remember correctly, it was my sister who wanted to knit something for christmas that allowed me to pick up my needles again, and I learned a little bit more as the time went on.  She learned how to cast on, knit, purl, yarn over and knit two together, and I learned things like ribbing, and was able to progress to hats.

Cue hiatus number two.

I was 14, and I saw one of my favourite teachers knitting a mitten.  Just a simple newfie mitten, and I was amazed.  All those needles!! Is she using TWO colours??  So I got the pattern, and with much struggling, there I was, ready to go.

It's been since this time that my knitting has been quite relentless, and I will blog about my stories and my projects for those who would like to read along.  Here and there, I might post about a really good band I'm listening to, or about an occurrence in my life, but let me assure you, this blog is primarily knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment