Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sabbaticals and Selbus...

So despite the fact that I have only two classes this semester, making my day finished at 11, I have been completely neglecting this blog.  I have been busier these past couple of weeks that I have ever been, between the gym, work and my new haven, Sweet Yarns.  This store has not only been a drain on my wallet (blame the intoxicating wool fumes), but a constant support system for my knitting escapades.  Always makes a day a little easier, to say the least.

So the first significant yarn related thing that I have accomplished is learning to spin.  My Louet drop spindle kit came in just before my exams and I was hooked.  Immediately.  I spun up some Blue Faced Leicester, Merino Silk, some Mohair and I mixed a Merino and a Mohair to see what I got.  The results were bulky weight, cushy singles that I completely love and cherish.  Future goals? Get faster, Learn to ply.

My lovely Merino Silk, still on the spindle.

I also decided to knit up a Selbu Modern hat in gray and purple, which is beautifully cushy and in Berocco's Ultra Alpaca Fine.  The colour work is just beautiful and hypnotizing, and despite the small needles I feel that it is coming along quite quickly, and will probably be finished by the end of the day today.

I also greatly apologize for the lack of pictures in this post, I can't seem to get them onto my computer, so I will have to try again when I get home.  Once I manage to get pictures onto this post, I will edit out this paragraph to avoid any confusion.
My yarns, attached to my selbu

And my laborious colourwork, close-up

No comments:

Post a Comment